The Ninth of February the Academy Awards announced the shortlists. For the Animation Short Film there were 96 applicants but just 10 films were nominated. 🏆
The nomination includes films from such streaming services as Netflix, Disney + and Peacock.
The six of the 10 nominated animation films are from the US. From France there are 2 films. And one each from the UK and Iceland. There are also two collaborations of Belgium with the US and South Korea with the US.
Interesting that nine of ten film directors are nominated for the first time.
Here are the list of the candidates:
- Burrow — Madeline Sharafian (U.S.)
- Genius Loci — Adrien Mérigeau (France)
- If Anything Happens I Love You — Michael Govier, Will McCormack (U.S.)
- Kapaemahu — Dean Hamer, Joe Wilson, Hinaleimoana Wong-Kalu (U.S.)
- Opera — Erick Oh (South Korea/U.S.)
- Out — Steven Clay Hunter (U.S.)
- The Snail and the Whale — Max Lang, Daniel Snaddon (U.K.)
- To Gerard — Taylor Meacham (U.S.)
- Traces — Hugo Frassetto, Sophie Tavert Macian (France/Belgium)
- Yes People — Gísli Darri Halldórsson (Iceland)
The voting will begin on the 5th of March and finish in 5 days after that. However, the Academy Awards ceremony will be held on Sunday, April 25.
For another nomination, 10 participants were also selected. On 6th of March every member of The Visual Effects Branch Committee will watch ten minutes of each movie to decide which five of them are worth to be in the final selection.
There was no country diversity in this category. The 9 of 10 films are from the US and only one is from the UK.
Here is the list of the nominees for Visual Effects:
- Bloodshot (US)
- Love and Monsters (US)
- Mank (US/Canada)
- The Midnight Sky (US)
- Mulan (US)
- The One and Only Ivan (US)
- Soul (US)
- Tenet (UK)
- Welcome to Chechnya (US)
- Birds of Prey and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn (US)
Let’s wait for the award and decide which film deserves to be called the best Animation Short movie and which one is going to get an Oscar for Visual Effects.